Bob Jones Universityís Inconsistent Position
on the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible
An Open Public Letter to Dr. Bob Jones III
900 Park Avenue Collingswood, New Jersey 08108 U.S.A.
Phone: 856-854-4452; 1-800-JOHN 10:9
All Rights Reserved
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
BFT BAPTIST CHURCH
Dr. Bob Jones III
Dear Dr. Jones:
I received your letter to me of March 28, 2000 [See APPENDIX, pp. 20-21, for a copy]. In your letter you have raised a number of issues. I should like to comment on each of them. I hope you have the time to read my comments. I will circulate my response to your letter, along with your letter to me, to as many as would like to read both documents. This document is B.F.T. #2987. Due to the importance of this debate on the topic of Bible texts and translations to all of us Fundamentalists, any future letters to me on this subject must also become Open Public Letters.
1. The Bible Conference at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Greenville, South Carolina. We had a wonderful Bible Conference at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Greenville, March 19-22, 2000. That was the same week as your own Bible Conference. Pastor Don Farmer was the other Bible Teacher.
2. "A Blatant Attack upon BJU"? You wrote that this Bible Conference was a "blatant attack upon BJU." What is your source for this statement? How do you know this? Were you there? I didnít see you. I assume you have either the audio or video tapes for you to make this statement. Have you heard the audio tapes? Have you seen our video tapes? My main purpose was to give those in attendance and those listening on the radio and on the Internet all over the world a brief summary of my answer to that dreadful book that you have praised so highly, From the Mind of God to the Mind of Man (hereafter The Mind of Man). It is true that I mentioned Bob Jones University, some of its teachers, some of its board members, some of its graduates, some of its employees, some of its loyal friends, and even you, Dr. Jones, its president. What I quoted from these individuals, and what I said about them, was factually true. After all, shouldnít credit be given where credit is due to those who had a hand in producing, printing, publicizing, and recommending this book that is so filled with MIS-INFORMATION?
On other topics, I was very kind to Bob Jones University and on their Fundamental doctrines as a whole. The one subject on which I took decided exception to your position, and that of Bob Jones University, concerned your false and dangerous position on the Bibleís text and translation. As I reminded you in my friendly and commendatory letter to you of March 6, 2000, on recent media attacks on the University, "we differ strongly on the Bible version issue, as we both know." [See APPENDIX, pp. 22-23 for a copy]
In my series, I merely pointed out the truth about the many BJU personnel--including you, the Bob Jones University president--including BJU teachers, BJU board members, BJU graduates, and BJU loyal friends who were responsible for the Fundamentalist MIS-INFORMATION on Bible Versions which is found in The Mind of Man book. Are you still proud of this book written by so many BJU-graduates, board members, teachers, and friends, even with the REVISED STANDARD VERSION on the cover? This is the book you commended highly at the World Congress of Fundamentalists in July, 1999. Here is what one of the copyright holders, committee members, and writers in the book wrote in a letter: "Dr. Bob held up the book and called it Ďthe most significant book for Fundamentalism in this decade, no, in this century.í" Is this correctly reported? If so, is this still your opinion of The Mind of Man book ?
On this issue, I believe strongly that Bob Jones University, under the leadership of your grandfather, father, and you, yourself, has been the chief source for Fundamentalists all over the world in the dissemination of many false and erroneous views about the original language texts--especially the Greek New Testament text--as well as the false and erroneous view that Bishop Westcott and Professor Hort were "conservatives," and as Dr. J. B. Williams wrote, are "now with the Lord" in heaven. Bob Jones University is the Fundamentalist fountainhead and source of the exaltation of the heretical Greek Text founded by Westcott and Hort.
If you will look on pages 37-42 of my book which you said someone sent you, Fundamentalist MIS-INFORMATION on Bible Versions, you will see various quotations made by Bishop Westcott and Professor Hort from documented sources, all of which you have in your Bob Jones University library. Do you believe these statements are consistent with Bible believing Fundamentalist theology? Or do you agree with me that these doctrines are not in conformity to the Bibleís teachings? Do you agree with me that these are the views of the apostates of their day and of ours? If so, how can they be "now with the Lord" as your board of trustee member, Dr. J. B. Williams, has written? If you believe these statements (all of which are correctly documented) are in conformity with Fundamental Bible doctrine, then I question your theological judgment as to what is Fundamental Bible doctrine and what is apostate teaching. This false position has infiltrated many of the Fundamentalist institutions around the world. You have lent your influence and name and that of Bob Jones University both to putting Westcott and Hort in heaven and also bowing in worship to their perverted New Testament Greek text.
3. "An Insult to this Institution that your children attended"? There was no "insult" to Bob Jones University in my messages, unless you call "truth" and "disagreement" about the MIS-INFORMATION found in The Mind of Man book an "insult." Most of my children did not merely "attend" Bob Jones University. Three of them graduated from this institution with either their Bachelorís or Masterís degree. One was on the teaching staff while working on his Masterís degree. They received a very good education, and were not too greatly influenced by the false teaching of Bob Jones University regarding the Greek New Testament text. I am grateful that they were not so influenced and I am grateful for the good training they received in other areas of study.
In my teaching ministry in the Bible conference, I told the truth about the connections between Bob Jones University and those who contributed in any way to The Mind of Man book. Is telling the truth an "insult"? I do not believe that it is. It seems from past experience that when someone disagrees with you or Bob Jones University, you excoriate them with unfair and untrue epithets such as "insult." That has been your "track record," so it really doesnít surprise me.
Why did your BJU-graduates, teachers, board members, loyal friends and others who had an influence on the book that you praised permit the text of the apostate-led and apostate-copyrighted REVISED STANDARD VERSION (RSV) to be placed on the cover of The Mind of Man book? Or didnít you observe this on the cover? What person or persons is/are responsible for this? Is this a sample of how much you, your teachers, your board members, your graduates, and your loyal friends "love" the King James Bible? Is this an example of how you do not "demean" the Textus Receptus? Check the following verses that could come ONLY from the RSV and none other English version (not the KJB, NKJV, ASV, NASV, NIV, NRSV or New Century).Matthew 19:13-16 (Revised Standard Version)
13 Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people (RSV);
14 but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."
15 And he laid his hands on them and went away.
16 And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?" (RSV)
Notice how different the other versions are in Matthew 19:13 as a sample, proving it was the RSV:
1. The King James Bible: "Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them." (KJV)
2. The American Standard Version: "Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should lay his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them." (ASV)
3. The New King James Version: "Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them." (NKJV)
4. The New American Standard Version: "Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them." (NASV)
5. The New International Version: "Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them." (NIV)
6. The New Revised Standard Version: "Then little children were being brought to him in order that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them;" (NRSV)
7. The New Century Version. "Then the people brought their little children to Jesus so he could put his hands on them and pray for them. His followers told them to stop." (NCV)
As you can see, there is no possible way other than that the Mind of Man book, which you praised so highly, used the REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the modernist apostate NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES on the cover! This apostate version uses the same false Westcott and Hort New Testament Greek text that is used at Bob Jones University and that was used in the New American Standard Version. You think this NASV is all right. You sell this NASV in your Bob Jones University bookstores. I would appreciate knowing why this was used. Do you know? Could you find out for me? Who authorized this to be done? What person or persons was/were involved? Was this done to placate the apostate NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES? Didnít whoever printed the cover have anything other than the REVISED STANDARD VERSION on hand?
Though Bob Jones University is not mentioned as having anything to do with this book that is loaded with MIS-INFORMATION, as I point out in my book, and in my messages, there are at least ten proofs that show the obvious, clear, (though hidden) influence of Bob Jones University as the most important source for this seriously flawed book. According to the testimony of Dr. J. B. Williams, this book was initiated in your own office with your blessing and choice of three of the men to be on the Committee of Texts and Translations (one of whom refused, and one of whom later disqualified himself from the committee and the pastoral ministry because of his long-standing--though not adulterous-- relationship with a woman not his wife). I said that Bob Jones University was "the most important source" as evidenced by the contributions toward The Mind of Man by you, the BJU president, by BJU teachers, by BJU board members, BJU graduates, and other loyal BJU personnel.
4. My "Diatribe"--Fundamentalist Mis-information on Bible Versions? This 144-page book of mine is not a "diatribe" [or "bitter, abusive criticism."] It is, rather, a carefully written, truthful and objective analysis of what I consider to be 118 items of MIS-INFORMATION that are contained in The Mind of Man. It is indeed a mystery to me how you could put your endorsement and stamp of approval on such a book by saying that this book is "the most significant book for Fundamentalism in this decade, no, in this century." Perhaps you should read all 144 pages of my book. It might help you understand why so many of us are disappointed at the falsity on the Bibleís texts and translations that is being taught at Bob Jones University and its daughter schools.
5. The "Dedication" of my Book to Some Bob Jones University Graduates? Here is what I wrote in the "Dedication":
I have underlined the portions in my "Dedication" that you have omitted from your letter (see APPENDIX). I know quite a few Bob Jones University graduates to whom this applies. I especially know of several whom you, yourself, and Bob Jones University have/has mercilessly and grossly unfairly "persecuted" merely because they differ from you on certain things and also hold the position on the Textus Receptus Greek New Testament text that both they and I hold dear.
You should rejoice that I have dedicated this book to some of your BJU graduates. I donít find fault with all of them--only those you and your institution have "indoctrinated" with the "corrupt and heretical" "Westcott and Hort kind of New Testament Greek text." Is it not a fact that your Greek department uses "the Westcott and Hort kind of New Testament Greek text" known as the Nestle-Aland text? This is the same text that Dr. Stewart Custer debated me on and defended at the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship meeting in Illinois in the 1980's. You were there and remember this well, I am sure, since you came up to me afterwards and were upset at what I honestly reported about Dr. Sam Schnaiterís defective position in his doctoral dissertation on "message preservation" rather than "preservation of the Words" of Hebrew and Greek. The Bob Jones University Greek text is the same text which has been adopted by the Roman Catholic leaders, the Modernistic Apostate Protestant leaders, the New Evangelical leaders, and (through your Bob Jones University influence mainly) by altogether too many Fundamentalist leaders.
Do you really know what is being taught in your Greek and Bible departments? One of your graduates told me recently that he doesnít think you really know what is being taught in those Greek and Bible classes. I have no way of knowing the truth of this matter. If you really knew what was being taught, you would not be making the statements you made in your letter about this issue. Based on what I have been told by many BJU-graduates, your statement that all of the classes use ONLY the King James Bible is false. I have been told by a number of such graduates that some of their teachers have used the NASV repeatedly in their classes. You are not correct in this. Has this been only a recent policy that has been strictly enforced? It has NOT been universally enforced in years past and it is hypocritical of you, as well as false of you, to imply that it has been universally enforced. One student told me the teacher asked her to buy a New American Standard Version for class. She fortunately refused this order by your teacher, and continued to use her King James Bible.
6. The "Dedication" A "Slap on the Face of Bob Jones University"? How can a "Dedication" of my book be a "slap on the face of Bob Jones University" when I have merely told the truth about what has gone on in your institution from the beginning, but especially from the days of Dr. Brokenshire (in about 1943) who was trained by Dr. B. B. Warfield at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey? Bob Jones University has never taken any other position than that of Brokenshire and Warfield who have parroted the positions of apostates Westcott and Hort. Why donít you admit this as fact? This is what Dr. Panosian believes. This is what Dr. Custer believers. This is what Dr. Wisdom believes. This is what Dr. Schnaiter believes. This is what Dr. Neal believes. This is what you yourself believe, is it not? How is it a "slap on the face" to tell the world that the graduates in the Bible and Greek departments at least (if not in other departments of the university)
This is truthful. Does Bob Jones University instead "indoctrinate" and teach that the Textus Receptus Greek text is the closest to the original autographs? Has the University changed its position since I debated with Dr. Custer in the 1980's? Of course you have not! Why are you so angry because I have told the truth of what has been going on for decades in your Bob Jones University? You should praise me for bringing these facts out to the people all over the world. I have often wondered why you really have not told the whole world that you teach the apostate Westcott and Hort Greek text in your Fundamentalist University. Are you ashamed of this? I think that you are. I challenge you to publicize this fact in all of your catalogs and letters to parents, students and affluent people who are leaving millions of dollars to the University in their wills. Tell them that though you preach from the King James Bible in your chapel services, your Greek and Bible department Greek text undermines the King James Bibleís New Testament text in 5,604 places, thinking that 2,886 Greek words should not be translated by the King James Bible, and that (based on your Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text used in your classes) you believe the King James Bible has 356 passages that contain doctrinal errors. Go ahead and really tell the truth about what is going on in some of the classrooms of Bob Jones University! Donít get angry with us who are telling the truth about this. Tell people yourself.
7. "A Blatant Misrepresentation of What Our Students Were Taught Here"? What "misrepresentation" is involved in my "Dedication" statement in my book? Are you saying that the "BJU Greek Department" does not stand for the "Westcott and Hort kind of New Testament Greek text"? Do you mean to say that I was "misrepresenting" the facts about Bob Jones Universityís stand for the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text? Has Bob Jones University now switched over to the true Greek text of the New Testament, that is, the Textus Receptus? Have you at Bob Jones University now renounced your former Nestle-Aland Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text in favor of the Textus Receptus? I would be very happy to correct this alleged "misrepresentation" if you can give me documented and undisputed proof that your school has now switched over from the false Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text to the true Textus Receptus. I will be most happy to make that correction.
8. "Theyíre Taught No Disrespect for the Textus Receptus"? To teach that the Westcott and Hort Greek text is to be respected and is true is by this very fact to teach "disrespect for the Textus Receptus." There can be no middle ground in the battle between these two Greek New Testament texts. Either the Textus Receptus is correct, or the Westcott and Hort kind of text is correct. These two texts, according to Dr. Frederick Scrivenerís Annotated Greek New Testament (published in both hardback and leather by the Dean Burgon Society, Box 354, Collingswood, New Jersey 08108), differ one from the other in 5,604 places (by my actual count). Dr. Jack Moorman counted 2,886 Greek words that the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text has completely eliminated from the Textus Receptus text that underlies the King James Bible. Dr. Moorman, in a book of 100 pages, has also enumerated 356 doctrinal passages where the Westcott and Hort Greek text differs from the Textus Receptus text. In each of these 356 passages, the Westcott and Hort text is in doctrinal error and the Textus Receptus text represents doctrinal orthodoxy. Do you really care about these facts? Your faculty cannot logically continue teaching the Westcott and Hort text without at the same time "disrespecting" the Textus Receptus. If one is true, the other is false. If the other is false, the other is true. You cannot respect and disrespect something at the same time. Your Westcott and Hort text throws out Mark 16:9-20 as spurious, for example, yet the King James Bible and its Textus Receptus honors and believes this passage to be genuine.
9. "Theyíre Taught No Disrespect . . Certainly . . . for the KJV"? How can your Greek and Bible departments NOT teach "disrespect" for the King James Bible when your Greek text undermines the King James Bible in 5,604 places? Every time your teachers teach that the critical Westcott and Hort text is correct in a verse of the New Testament, they are "disrespecting" both the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible which is based upon it. They are calling both the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible false and in error in these 5,604 places. I do not understand how you cannot see this as "disrespect" for the Textus Receptus and for the King James Bible. You know some of these differences I am sure, including Mark 16:9-20; 1 Timothy 3:16; John 6:47, and so on. Dr. Jack Moorman has listed all 356 doctrinal differences in his 100-page book published by The Bible For Today. I have included 158 of the major differences in chapter V of my book Defending the King James Bible which has been available for many years, now in its 7th printing.
10. "The KJV is all we preach and teach from here"? I have testimonies from various Bob Jones University students that some of their teachers at times used either the New American Standard Version or New International Version or both in their classes. This doesnít sound like "all we . . . teach from." You may USE the King James Bible, but you obviously do not DEFEND it. Otherwise, you wouldnít have so many preacher-boys going out from Bob Jones University and not using and not defending the King James Bible. On the contrary, they are using their NASVís or their NIVís because they comport with the false Greek text they were taught at Bob Jones University. Unless you put a date when you started (if you have now started) to make true your statement, "The KJV is all we preach and teach from here," it is a false statement. In times past, this is a false statement you have made (unless, of course, you are of the opinion that all these students who have testified on this point are liars and are giving misinformation).
11. "Utter Stupidity for our Bible Department to Demean the Textus Receptus while Holding in Respect the Translation from which it was Made"? Truer words were never spoken! You have called your own Bible department (I did not do so) guilty of "utter stupidity." By using and teaching from the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text, you are ipso facto "demeaning" both the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible from which it was translated--a practice you yourself have characterized as "utter stupidity." I would not be so hard on you and your Greek and Bible departments, I would merely call it inconsistency and hypocrisy. Consistency would demand you use both the King James Bible in the chapel and the Textus Receptus from which it was translated in the Greek and Bible departments. Can you not see how inconsistent you and Bob Jones University are in this matter? Can you not see why so many are calling it hypocrisy? Consistency would demand that you use the New American Standard Version (or New International Version) in the chapel and the Westcott and Hort Greek text in the Greek and Bible departments. My own alma mater, Dallas Theological Seminary, though strongly new evangelical and certainly not Fundamentalist or separated, is at least consistent in this area. They use the New International Version in their chapel and classrooms to go with their Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text in their Greek department.
12. "Dr. Waite, Why Are You so Mean-spirited"? I have read many of your own letters both to me and to others in which you have set the highest of "mean-spirited" standards. You are calling me "mean-spirited"? Your letters to those who dare to differ with you would win the prize for "mean-spiritedness." Let me refresh your memory on some of the "mean-spirited" and uncomplimentary words you used in your March 28, 2000 letter to me: (1) "mean-spirited," (2) "blatant attack," (3) "diatribe" (4) "slap on the face,"(5) "blatant misrepresentation,"(6) "vilifying," (7) "creating division," (8) "unwarranted," (9) "hurtful," (10)"maligning,"or (11) "misrepresenting?" You donít use such terms when writing to your friends do you? Why do you use them when writing to me?
I am not, as you have charged, "mean-spirited." How do you know anything about my messages at this Greenville Bible Conference? I didnít see you at any of my four meetings. The audio and/or video tapes are available for the whole world to see and hear. Did you listen to my messages over WTBI? Did you listen to them over the Internet? I was just as kind and objective as I could be in these messages, using 100 overhead transparencies for exact quotations for all in the large audience to see for themselves. Can you point out from my messages any examples of what you mean? I was not "blatant" (loud or boisterous) but calm and truthful in my delivery as I pointed out the many MIS-REPRESENTATIONS in The Mind of Man book.
I commended Bob Jones University in many ways, but made it clear of my strong differences with the school on your use of the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text in your Greek and Bible departments. Can you specify any "mean spirited" remarks in my book, Fundamentalist MIS-INFORMATION on Bible Versions or in the Greenville Bible Conference messages? If you donít like my Fundamentalist MIS-INFORMATION book, why donít you answer my illustrations of 118 examples of MIS-INFORMATION. Unless you can specify evidence in either my book or in my Greenville Bible Conference messages, you should withdraw your charge of "mean-spirited."
The book you recommended so highly (The Mind of Man) mentioned my name in a slanderous, libelous, vicious, unchristian, untruthful manner. You should be ashamed for commending this book which contains such libelous untruths about me and others who hold views contrary to those of you and Bob Jones University as the "most significant book for Fundamentalism in this decade, no in this century"! Read once again Acts 20:17-38 and 2 Peter 2:1-3 and ask yourself if this refers (as your board of trustee member, Dr. J. B. Williams, wrote) to Fundamentalist Christian brethren. What kind of wild exegesis is this? Is this what you teach at Bob Jones University--to call such names (rightly referring to unbelievers and apostates) as designations for Fundamentalist Christian brethren? Would you not get upset if someone used those names in reference to you and Bob Jones University?
Speaking of being "mean-spirited," how can you put your stamp of approval on the book assisted by BJU faculty members, BJU board members, BJU graduates, and other loyal BJU friends (The Mind of Man) which contains so many "mean-spirited" words? This is like the pot calling the kettle black. People who live in glass houses shouldnít throw stones. Let me list the various "mean-spirited" words. The first series comes from the man who teamed up with you to get the Mind of Man book written. Heís on your Bob Jones University board of trustees, Dr. J. B. Williams. He is the general editor of The Mind of Man book. Have you read what he wrote about Fundamentalists who disagree with him on the Greek New Testament text?
I. Dr. James B. Williamsí "mean-spirited" and unkind words. In his opinion, he says of those of us who are strong Fundamentalists who hold to the Textus Receptus Greek text and the King James Bible also (including Dr. D. A. Waite who is named in this book): (1) we have a "lack of theological understanding" (p. 4); (2) we have a "lack of . . . biblical language training" (p. 4); (3) we are "not qualified to speak to the issues" (p. 4); ; (4) we are "disseminators of misinformation" (p. 4); (5) we are "arrogant and abrasive" (p. 6); (6) we are a "parade of misinformers" (p. 7); (7) we are "unqualified opponents" (p. 7); (8) we have "misinformation and heresy" (p. 7); the following epithets (from Acts 20:17-38) given to the apostates and heretics are here alleged and wrongfully applied to your Fundamentalist brethren: (9) we are "grievous wolves" (p. 7); (10) we are those "not sparing the flock" (p. 7); (11) we are "speaking perverse things" (p. 7); (12) we "twist" things (p. 7); (13) we "pervert" things (p. 7); (14) we "distort" things (p. 7); (15) we "exploit the believers by our heresies" (p. 7); the following epithets (from 2 Peter 2:1-3) given to the apostates and heretics are here alleged and wrongly applied to your Fundamentalist brethren: (16) we are "people who . . . deceive" (p. 7); (17) we are "false prophets"; (18) we are "false teachers"; (19) we even are "denying the Lord that bought us" (p. 7) (20) we "bring on ourselves swift destruction" (p. (21) we have "pernicious ways" (p. 7); and (22) our "damnation slumbereth not" (p. 7)
Would you like to be called all or any of those "mean-spirited" words written by your friend and Bob Jones University board of trustees member, Dr. James B. Williams? I am sure you would not. I do not like to be called these false names either.
Here are some other "mean-spirited" words by your Bob Jones University Bible department teacher, Dr. Mark Minnick. He wrote two articles in The Mind of Man book:
II. Dr. Mark Minnickís "mean-spirited" and unkind words. In his opinion, he says of those of us who are strong Fundamentalists who hold to the Textus Receptus Greek text and the King James Bible also (including Dr. D. A. Waite who is named in this book): (1) we are "unlearned leaders" (p. xii); (2) we are "unscrupulous leaders" (p. xii); (3) we have an "ungracious . . . tone" (p. xii); (4) we have a "divisive tone" (p. xii); and (5) we are guilty of "character assassination."
Would you like to be called all or any of those "mean-spirited" words written by your friend and Bob Jones University graduate and member of your Bible faculty, Dr. Mark Minnick? I am sure you would not. I do not like to be called these false names either.
III. Dr. Ernest Pickeringís "mean-spirited" and unkind words. In his opinion, he says of those of us who are strong Fundamentalists who hold to the Textus Receptus Greek text and the King James Bible also (including Dr. D. A. Waite who is named in this book): (1) we are "acrimonious . . . in tone" (p. ix); (2) we practice "vilification of character" (p. ix); (3) we engage in "personal attacks" (p. ix); (4) we have an "unchristian spirit" (p. ix); and (5) we engage in "attacks on the character of our opponents" (p. ix).
Would you like to be called all or any of those "mean-spirited" words written by your friend and Bob Jones University graduate, Dr. Ernest Pickering? I am sure you would not. I do not like to be called these false names either.
13. "Why Do You Vilify Your Brothers in Christ"? On what grounds do you make this untrue charge of "vilification" (slanderous language)? If you have no specifics and proof, why do you repeat this falsehood. I differ strongly with those who hold the wrong view of the Greek text, but I do not attack their person. If you know anything whatever about me, you would know that I deal with facts and ideas, not with personalities except to identify various personalities with various ideas. When I do speak of people, I am respectful of them, regardless of how much I differ with them.
14. "Vilifying My Brothers in Christ Who Believe the Bible Just as Fervently and Defend it Just as Militantly as you do"? In the first place, I have not "vilified" ["to use abusive or slanderous language about"] my "brothers in Christ." I show respect to those with whose opinions and facts I firmly disagree. I do not vilify my opponents as you have vilified me by your letter. This vilifying of those who disagree with you seems to be the Bob Jones III pattern and policy, copied from your father and grandfather perhaps. I suggest you stop and "desist" from such vilification of me and others with whom you disagree and who disagree with you. It doesnít become you. You do not use argumentation, or factual data, but only disparagement of peopleís character. Can you show me instances where I have "vilified my brothers in Christ"?
As for the "brothers in Christ who believe the Bible just as fervently as I do and defend it just as militantly as I do," which "Bible" are you talking about? You and your Bob Jones University professors, past or present, such as Drs. Brokenshire, Custer, Panosian, Neal, Wisdom, Schnaiter, and many more, are standing "militantly" for quite a different "Bible" from that for which I "militantly" stand. They stand for the false and apostate "Bible" of the Westcott and Hort New Testament Greek text and the modern counterparts of Nestle-Aland and the United Bible Society. I stand for the Fundamentalist "Bible" of the Received or Textus Receptus Greek New Testament which has been accepted by the churches for over 1500 years. Your teachers are "defending militantly" the New Testament "Bible" established by the apostates and heretics, Westcott and Hort in 1881, and "defended militantly" by the heretical Roman Catholic pope, priests, and teachers; by the apostate and heretical modernists of the National and World Councils of churches; by the compromising neo-evangelicals; and by altogether too many Fundamentalists like yourselves.
I plan to continue in my "militant defense" of the Textus Receptus that underlies our King James Bible until the Lord calls me home. I plan to continue to expose both your "militant defense" and that of Bob Jones University of your apostate-backed New Testament Greek text so long as you continue standing for this tenet of apostasy. No matter how Fundamentalist and separatist you might be in many other areas of theology (and you know I share such Fundamentalist and separatist beliefs), you and your Bob Jones University are the leading Fundamentalist source in the spreading of this heretical Greek text to your students and then on to Fundamentalist pastors you train, and then on into the Fundamentalist schools, colleges, seminaries, and churches both in this country and around the world on the mission field. You and your Bob Jones University are like a poison spider that has been laying poisonous eggs of untruth in the Greek text area among the Fundamentalist world. You and your Bob Jones University have done more to propagate this falsehood among Fundamentalists than any Roman Catholic source, any modernistic apostate source, any neo-evangelical source, or any other Fundamentalist source. As such, you and your Bob Jones University must be exposed as the major source that it is of this false teaching.
I intend to continue to expose this false teaching in my local church, in my books, in my tape recordings, in my videos, and on my 5' and 30' and 60' radio programs that are now heard all over this country and around the world both by short wave radio and by the Internet. I have been well prepared in this battle against your false teaching on this issue by careful training in pursuit of my five earned academic degrees (A.B., M.A., Ph.D., Th.M. and Th.D.) I am not one of your obedient and subservient students attending your university whom you can order around, nor am I one of your obedient and subservient teachers or staff members who are obligated to take orders from you at penalty of losing their jobs. Instead of belittling my views you should inquire after them.
I spent the early years of my training at Dallas Theological Seminary believing the Westcott and Hort Greek text error. Since 1971 (over 29 years now), I have seen the serious errors in that text. I would have to guess that I am better prepared for that venture in the Greek language than any of your teachers on your staff, or any writers in The Mind of Man book, or any of its academicians. Can you give me the names of those on your staff who have, as resident degrees, the A.B., the M.A., the Ph.D., the Th.M., and the Th.D.? I would venture to guess that you donít have any! Please correct me if I am wrong, and supply me with the names of the men and their transcripts. Why are you treating me like a nit-wit? How many of your teachers have had 66 semester hours of classical and/or New Testament Greek combined? Can you give me the names of those on your staff who have taken 66 semester hours of the Greek language? I would venture to guess that there are zero! If you can prove otherwise, I invite you to submit to me their official transcripts of credit and I will compare them to my own.
I am certain you would never invite me to lecture at Bob Jones University and give a defense of the Textus Receptus New Testament Greek text so your students can see the "other side" of this question? I am absolutely certain you would not dare to do this. It would be too fair. The way you work things is to vilify your opponents by your letters, and by getting others to write hateful books about them such as the book you have initiated, The Mind of Man. I have very calmly and carefully pointed out at least 118 pieces of MIS-INFORMATION in that book that you have praised. When are your various BJU-graduates, teachers, board members, and loyal friends going to tell the truth instead of continuing to pass out such MIS-INFORMATION to the unsuspecting and unprepared public all over the world?
15. "Creating Division Within the Body of Christ that is Unwarranted and Hurtful"? Who are the ones creating this "division"? It is you and your Bob Jones University who have departed from the Received Greek text of our King James Bible that has been used and honored in the churches for over 1,500 years. You are asking as did Ahab to Elijah in 1 Kings 18:17, "Art thou he that troubleth Israel?" The answer was then as it is now, "I have not troubled Israel, but thou, and thy fatherís house." And as long as you continue creating this "division" I shall continue to point it out to whomever will listen.
I might recommend Bob Jones University for work in nursing, or fine arts, or some other subject, but never would I recommend any young man to go to Bob Jones University who is preparing for the ministry. They would only come out learning to love the errors of the Westcott and Hort Greek text and to despise the Textus Receptus. They would come out like hundreds of pastors all around the country tossing away the King James Bible in favor of the New American Standard and some even the New International Version. Perhaps even some will be attracted to your National Council of Churches Revised Standard Version that is shown on the cover of your Mind of Man book. Who knows. The RSV uses the same Greek text you teach at Bob Jones University.
16. "The Lord Hates Those Who Sow Discord Among the Brethren"? You and your Bob Jones University have for years been the ones who have "sowed discord among the brethren" by your adamant refusal to use the Greek New Testament text that underlies the King James Bible you profess to love. If the Lord truly "hates" those, He must sincerely "hate" you and your Bob Jones University staff that has been "sowing discord" on this subject of the Bibleís text almost from day one of your existence!
17. "I Beg You to Desist"? I would be happy to "desist" if you, your teachers, and your former students all around the world would "desist" from your and their loud and clear clamoring for the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text. Until this is done, I have no intention of "desisting." I intend to carry the defense of every Word the Lord Jesus Christ caused to write through the Hebrew Masoretic text or the Received Greek text underlying the King James Bible until the Lord calls me Home to Glory. Let me quote something from one of my most respected literary friends, Dean John William Burgon:
I resonate approvingly with these sentiments. As he, so I refuse to "desist" in what I consider to be the battle for the Bible.
18. "Not Hurting the University But Hurting the Good Name of Christ"? The "good Name of Christ" is exactly what I am seeking to defend. Far from "hurting" His good Name, I am exalting His Name by exalting and holding to all of His Words. The Lord Jesus Christ said:
I believe very strongly that the Lord Jesus Christ, your Saviour, will be "ashamed of you" when He comes because you and your Bob Jones University have been "ashamed of His Words." I believe the Lord Jesus Christ is the Author of all of the Old Testament Hebrew Words in our Bible and all of the New Testament Words in our Bible. I believe those Words are to be found in the Masoretic Hebrew text and the Textus Receptus Greek text underlying the King James Bible. Your Hebrew department, with teachers such as Dr. Jaeggli and others, is destroying Christís Words by referring to many of them as "scribal errors." Your Greek and Bible department, under Drs. Custer, Schnaiter, Wisdom, and others, are destroying Christís New Testament Greek words by using the Westcott and Hort kind of text, whether Nestle-Aland or the United Bible Society text which changes Christís Words in the New Testament in 5,604 places. One of the precious phrases that you and Bob Jones Universityís Greek text strips away from our Saviourís Words is found in John 6:47 which says, in the King James Bible and in the Textus Receptus Greek text that underlies it:
The Textus Receptus Greek text says this for this verse:
Your Westcott and Hort kind of text (the Nestle-Aland) says this for this verse:
This false Greek text used by Bob Jones University teaches in John 6:47 that you can have "everlasting life" by merely "believing." In that false Greek text of the Gnostics from Egypt you need not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Notice how your favorite New American Standard Version sold in the Bob Jones University bookstores treats this verse:
The same is true for the New International Version which quite a few of your graduates are using:
John 6:47 is just one of the 356 doctrinal passages where your Westcott and Hort kind of text is teaching false and heretical doctrines by altering the Words of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I deem this an outrage against my Lord and Saviorís Words! And you, Dr. Jones, who have the authority and power as President of Bob Jones University to stop this demeaning and doubting of Christís Words, have done nothing about it and apparently you do not intend to do anything about it. Instead, you merely rail against and castigate Fundamentalist, separatist Baptist pastors such as I am, and others who continue to defend the Words of the Lord Jesus Christ, our Saviour. You have been deceived by your teachers at Bob Jones University and others. It is long overdue for you and all of your teachers to take another fresh, hard, careful look at this issue of the Greek New Testament text. You have apparently not taken the time to dig into this subject for yourself as I have been doing for 29 years, or if you have, you have come up on the wrong side of the issue. I was taught the Westcott and Hort actual text at Dallas Theological Seminary from 1948 through 1953. But when I saw the falsity of this text in 1971, I changed. I have been reading, writing, and studying on this subject ever since. Why donít you do the same?
Have you purchased for yourself and studied thoroughly, for example, each of the five books by Dean John William Burgon? Or have you checked them out of the Mack Library there on your campus and studied them thoroughly? Dean Burgon was a strong Bible conservative, though of the Church of England. The Dean Burgon Society, of which I have been President these past 22 years, has reprinted, all five of these books, namely: (1) Revision Revised; (2) the Last 12 Verses of Mark; (3) the Traditional Text; (4) Causes of Corruption; and (5) Inspiration and Interpretation. I have no reason to believe you have read and studied thoroughly Dean Burgonís writings. He has completely overthrown the falsities both of the text and of the theories of Westcott and Hort . You love, adore, and teach in your Bob Jones University this false text and these false theories. You probably havenít even looked into The Life and Letters of Westcott and The Life and Letters of Hort that are in your library (over 1,800 pages) to see by their very letters their apostasy and heresies in doctrine. You, instead, take the word of Dr. Custer and Dr. Schnaiter that these two doctrinal heretics are conservatives. You, instead, take the word of your board of trustees man, Dr. J. B. Williams, that these two apostates are "now with the Lord." You trust these two apostates and allow Dr. Schnaiter to use Westcottís Commentary on Hebrews as his textbook in your university. You do not stop with using the works of and exalting these two apostates, but you also exalt the editorial work of Roman Catholic Cardinal Carlo Martini (one of the nominees for the next Pope of the Roman Catholic Church) on the committee of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament that you permit to be used in your Greek classes. You also do the same thing as you exalt the work of the other apostates on the editorial committee of your Nestle-Aland Greek text like Kurt Aland, Bruce Metzger, Matthew Black, and Allen Wikgren. Yet you claim to be a separatist (and I believe that you are)--why, then, are you so inconsistent, if not hypocritical, in the use of such apostates and others in the area of Biblical textual criticism?
19. "My Plea Does Not Suggest That You Should Stop Believing Anything You Believe About the Text"? Iím glad I have your permission to do this, because I am going to do just that. Part of my "believing anything I believe about the text" is to crusade valiantly, honestly, and truthfully for the truth which I believe in. The second part of this is to crusade valiantly, honestly, and truthfully against the untruth and to expose what I consider to be falsehood. This, quite honestly, means that I will continue my exposure of your own personal false teaching and the false teaching by your teachers at Bob Jones University on the issue of the Bibleís texts and translations.
While, on the one hand, I will continue to recommend Bob Jones University for those who wish to take up nursing, fine arts, business, and other things (for doing this, some will no doubt accuse me of being inconsistent), yet, on the other hand, I will continue to warn men who are preparing for the Lordís work at home or abroad, to avoid taking their work at Bob Jones University. I wouldnít want to see them destroyed and ruined in the area of Bible texts and translations by going to your university for this training.
I have talked through the years to numerous pastors and students who have been absolutely ruined by Bob Jones Universityís espousal of the heretical and false Westcott and Hort Greek text which brings shame on the Textus Receptus and the King James Bible for which you profess to have "no disrespect." While you may "use" the King James Bible in chapel for "window dressing" and what is known as "protective coloration," you do not defend the King James Bible. This is why you sell the New American Standard Version in your bookstores. This is why countless graduates are using and preaching from that NASV which is based upon the false Westcott and Hort text they were taught at Bob Jones University. This is also why you sell James Whiteís book (The King James Only Controversy) in your bookstores. The very essence of Biblical Fundamentalism is twofold: (1) stand for all the Biblical truth without apology; and (2) stand against and expose all that is contrary to Biblical truth. In this present instance, your Bob Jones Universityís adamant insistence on teaching the Westcott and Hort kind of Greek text which is contrary to Biblical truth paints the following picture: Your Westcott and Hort kind of text differs from the Textus Receptus by my actual count in 5,604 places. It completely omits a total of 2,886 Greek words from the true Biblical text. It teaches false and heretical doctrine in 356 places. That is certainly not a pretty picture so far as I am concerned.
20. "You Should Desist in Maligning and Misrepresenting Those Who . . . Donít See These Things Exactly as You Do"? First of all, I am not "maligning" ["to speak evil of, defame, slander"] others. I speak the truth about others who differ with me. If you can find any untruth (not merely a difference of opinion) in my book someone sent you (Fundamentalist MIS-INFORMATION on Bible Versions), I would be happy to correct it in the next printing. I deal in documentation and facts, not in "maligning." If you want a lesson in "maligning" and "slandering" and libeling me and others, you should re-read the article by your co-originator of The Mind of Man book, Dr. James B. Williams. It is the Introduction (The Issue We Face.) It is found on pages 1-11.
In the second place, I donít deal in "misrepresentation." I deal in facts and truth. I found at least 118 items of "MIS-INFORMATION" in your Mind of Man book. See if you can find that many in my own book or books. In each case, I have quoted the words from The Mind of Man book exactly. I have not "misrepresented" your BJU-graduates, board members, teachers., or loyal friends Exact quotation cannot possibly be considered "misrepresentation." Just because I totally disagree with your friendsí positions does not mean I have "misrepresented" what they have written.
There are many other things I might write to you, but I shall forbear to do so. Any response you might make to this Open Public Letter I shall weigh, and if I deem it necessary, I will answer it publicly as I have done with this response, either by means of the radio waves, including short wave and Internet around the world, or by other means.
BOB JONES University
Dr. D. A. Waite
Dear Dr. Waite:
Your conference at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Greenville last week was a blatant attack upon BJU an insult to this institution that your children attended.
In addition to that, someone sent me a copy of your diatribe Fundamentalist Misinformation on Bible Versions dedicated to "all the graduates of Bob Jones University who, though they were indoctrinated in the BJU Greek department to accept as genuine the Westcott and Hort kind of text, have forsaken such a text as corrupt and heretical and . . . have now accepted as genuine the Traditional Textus Receptus Greek Text that underlies the King James Bible . . ." This is not only a slap on the face of Bob Jones University, it is also a blatant misrepresentation of what our students were taught here. They're taught no disrespect for the Textus Receptus and certainly not for the KJV. The KJV is all we preach and teach from here. It would be utter stupidity for our Bible department to demean the Textus Receptus while holding in respect the translation from which it was made.
Dr. Waite, why are you so mean-spirited? Why do you vilify your brothers in Christ who believe the Bible just as fervently and defend it just as militantly as you do. You're creating division in the body of Christ that is unwarranted and hurtful. We know that the Lord hates those who sow discord among the brethren (Proverbs 6:16-19).
I beg you to desist. You are not hurting the University, but you are hurting the good name of Christ, a name that I believe you love as much as we do. My plea does not suggest that you should stop believing anything you believe about the text, but that you should desist in maligning and misrepresenting those who love the Bible as much as you do, but who don't sec these things exactly as you do.
BFT BAPTIST CHURCH
Dr. Bob Jones III
Dear Dr. Bob,
Just a hurried note to go along with the many hundreds you probably have received concerning your excellent job you did on the Larry King Live TV show which was seen all over the world! The media attack on Bob Jones University was most unfair, but I think the Lord might use it to bring more students your way. It certainly made Bob Jones University a household word around the globe!
Sorry for your recent hospitalization, and hope you regain full strength soon. You accounted yourself strong for the Lord Jesus Christ and for the way of salvation without compromise. This was unlike the appearances from time to time on Larry King's show of James Bakker, Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham and others.
I recorded the entire program on video tape and made nine copies available to the members of our church to circulate on a rotation basis so all could see it. Yesterday, as I expounded Philippians 1:16-30 (By Life or By Death) I made repeated commendable references to your testimony before Larry King and the world.
Though we differ strongly on the Bible version issue, as we both know, I refuse to refrain from commending a brother in Christ and a Christian Fundamentalist leader when he has done a good job for the cause of the gospel and for all of our Bible believing Christians and churches throughout the world.
May God's continued blessings go with you as you stand up for God's Words and His beloved Son who has saved us by His grace.
About the Author
The author of this booklet, Dr. D. A. Waite, received a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) in classical Greek and Latin from the University of Michigan in 1948, a Th.M. (Master of Theology), with high honors, in New Testament Greek Literature and Exegesis from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1952, an M.A. (Master of Arts) in Speech from Southern Methodist University in 1953, a Th.D. (Doctor of Theology), with honors, in Bible Exposition from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1955, and a Ph.D. in Speech from Purdue University in 1961. He holds both New Jersey and Pennsylvania teacher certificates in Greek and Language Arts.
He has been a teacher in the areas of Greek, Hebrew, Bible, Speech, and English for over thirty-five years in nine schools, including one junior high, one senior high, three Bible institutes, two colleges, two universities, and one seminary. He served his country as a Navy Chaplain for five years on active duty; pastored two churches; was Chairman and Director of the Radio and Audio-Film Commission of the American Council of Christian Churches; since 1971, has been Founder, President, and Director of THE BIBLE FOR TODAY; since 1978, has been President of the DEAN BURGON SOCIETY; has produced over 700 other studies, books, cassettes, or VCRís on various topics; and is heard on both a five-minute daily and thirty-minute weekly radio program IN DEFENSE OF TRADITIONAL BIBLE TEXTS, presently on 25 stations. Dr. and Yvonne Sanborn Waite have been married since 1948; they have four sons, one daughter, and, at present, eight grandchildren. Since October 4, 1998, he has been the Pastor of The Bible For Today Baptist Church in Collingswood, New Jersey.
The Bible For Today
For whosoever shall call upon the name
of the Lord shall be saved.
From the Authorized King James Bible